Friday, May 11, 2012

Café Paesan

We are cruising to eat at every restaurant on State Street in Orem.
 
May 11, 2012 – Determined to start cruising this week, and having a busy basketball week, I proposed stopping to eat somewhere on our way home from Provo after Phil’s three basketball games played at Provo High school.  Yes, I said three games.  While at Provo High, it was fun to look at the display cases and to see the state championship basketball when I was a junior there and be reminded of some of the names; and be reminded of how much I don’t remember.

Our goal, (or maybe it is just my goal and John is going along with me), is to eat at every restaurant on State Street in Orem.  I’d been thinking whether to go in order – north to south or south to north.  Or whether to do it randomly, coming home from Provo, I took the opportunity to drive up State Street to see which the first restaurant was as we entered Orem.  It seemed to be, as I suspected, Chef’s Table.  Haven’t eaten there for a long time, but the parking lot looked full and Phil was in stinky basketball attire so we kept driving.  After some deliberation, John suggested we stop at Café Paesan.  Good choice for a number of reasons.  First, it is about right in the middle, thus solving my north/south dilemma.  Second, Phil had not eaten there before.  Love its décor.  The breadsticks were great.  We had a nice discussion about how sauces can really make or break a meal.  These were good sauces.  Also, Phil wondered how we would classify this restaurant.  Phil stated that it wasn’t fast food (thinking McDonald's or Wendy’s) but it is not a restaurant in the formal sense of the word either he decided because of the disposable plates, cups and utensils (and tablecloths, I decided). The décor was such that it made Phil decide it should be classified more towards the true restaurant side of the continuum.  What other general names for eating establishments exist besides fast food and restaurant?

While ordering, they offered us free dessert!  I hated to turn that down but we were just two more days to go on my "no desserts until Mother’s Day" challenge. Have to go back and try that one again.

No comments: